I was supposed to have a routine checkup today. I mentioned during my appointment in the past week or so I've had some intense itching on my legs, feet, arms, and hands when I go to bed at night. Apparently it's a possible sign of cholestasis, a liver problem that can occur in pregnancy. I've stayed away from pregnancy books and google for most of my pregnancy - instead relying on my doctor, doula, and close friends when I had questions. So when my doctor told me to stay off of google, I knew this could potentially be bad. I ended up having blood work drawn and an ultrasound.
I don't have the results on the main blood test yet. Apparently it's a send-out lab and it will be a few to several days before we get the result. The other labs tested at my clinic today all came back good. My doctor told me when she is suspicious of this and tests for it, usually the patient tests positive for it about 50% of the time. If I do test positive I'll have to be induced at 37 weeks - so next Friday. Apparently the biggest issue with cholestasis is baby being stillborn so as soon as you hit 37 weeks it's best to get baby out. I also had a bio physical ultrasound done today and of course baby measured perfectly on everything! She was being her cute little self. One hand was curled up by her cheek and the other was holding on to her foot! And she's getting some adorable chubby cheeks. The ultrasound tech even checked to see if she had a head of hair - looks like just some fuzz! My cervix was checked today as well and it's closed, but starting to soften up.
For now baby is doing awesome and I just need to patiently wait for results and go from there.

1 comment:
Yikes, keep us posted! Good luck, you are SO close!!
Post a Comment