Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Saturday, July 12, 2014

IVF #9 Retrieval Results and Chaos

What a crazy day and a half I just survived. I received orders on Wednesday to trigger Thursday night. My flight to California was booked for Friday. (If you want to skip the long story about my adventures, feel free to skip to the end to find out the retrieval results).

On Friday my day started by going to acupuncture. Upon checking in I discovered they failed to put my appointment in the computer when I called the previous day. (Never mind that over two days I called repeatedly to try and make an appointment and kept getting put on hold for 5min + each time) Thankfully my acupuncturist squeezed me in.

We ended up booking my flight to leave from a city 2 1/2 hours away because it saved about $500. Usually the city we live in is cheaper than the one I drove to. Friday after lunch I jumped in the car and went on my way. I gave myself a good buffer and made it to the airport with more than enough time to spare.

I had already checked in for my flight so all I needed to do was drop my bag and go through security. My bag was small enough to qualify for carry-on, but with only a 45min layover I didn't want to deal with dragging it through the airport. The agent at the counter must have been new. Or lazy. He took f  o  r  e  v  e  r. And not one, but TWO people cut in front of me. Apparently giving the person at the counter in front of me four feet of personal space is an invite to cut in line. I had lots of time so I didn't let myself worry about it.

I proceeded to the security line where a lady got in line behind me with her three bratty kids. She was one of those parents that obviously have absolutely no control over their kids. I lost track of how many times I got kicked or had one of the brats yank on my backpack. It took all my strength to not say or do anything.

I made it through security and grabbed a bottle of water and a snack. I then sat and watched my plane land and sit a ways back from the gate for over an hour. Apparently the airport was extremely short staffed and there wasn't an agent available to deplane. Finally boarded the plane almost half an hour late. I was starting to panic as I only had a 45min layover. Once everyone boarded the pilot told us there was a ground stop in Denver and they were waiting for more info. After 45min the pilot announced we were going to de-plane. Then he decided not to. Then when we finally got clearance to fly, an hour and half after we were supposed to leave, a passenger decided she wanted to get off because she didn't think she would make her connection. And of course she had a checked bag.

During the time spent waiting on the plane as I was in panic mode. Freaking out trying to search for alternative flights to get me to California. My husband was at home doing his best to help as well. Luckily due to the weather my connecting flight was also pushed back because the plane was flying in from elsewhere. Finally flying into Denver the storms had recently cleared and we flew right through the middle of a beautiful double rainbow. That had to be a good sign, right?! As soon as I landed I discovered I had very little time to make my connection as the delayed time on my connection had been bumped up. We landed at some gate in the 80's and my connection was leaving from gate 20. If you've been to the Denver airport you know how freaking long it is. Here's where my last minute decision to check my bag totally saved my ass. My first flight was on an itty bitty plane that makes you tag your carry-on to have it stowed below. If I had to wait for my bag and drag it with me I never would have made my connection. I was the first one off the plane and bolted. My decision to start running a month ago paid off yesterday. Although, I did manage to lightly sprain my foot running in my flip flops. Another saving grace was the connecting flight was delayed 10min due to a delay on getting luggage transferred. I arrived gasping for air as the last few passengers were boarding. I have never been so happy to collapse onto my seat.

Flying into Orange County I was looking out the window to see if I could spot my hotel. I found it and then I noticed we flew really low right past the airport...and then we ascended a little and kept flying...out over the ocean...and we kept going...and then the plane dipped and turned...by that point I was completely freaking out. I kept looking around the plane and NO ONE else seemed to notice what was happening. The final destination movies kept popping up in my head. It was creepy. Finally the pilot came on. Apparently the flight deck screwed up and had the plane coming in too close so we had to fly out and turn around.

I was so very very happy to finally be on the ground in Orange County. I made my way down to baggage claim to wait for my bag and discovered it didn't make it. I spoke with someone and they assured me it would arrive the next morning and be delivered to my hotel. I always carry most of my essentials with me in my backpack. Only from now on I will start adding a change of clothes. And true to their word, my bag was delivered to my hotel right when I got back from my retrieval.

Retrieval was scheduled for 9:30 and I was to arrive at the clinic at 9. I checked in and waited. And waited. And waited. Ten minutes before my scheduled retrieval I was stressing out and went up to ask the receptionist why I hadn't been called back. She was rather bitchy about it and I returned to my seat and tried not to freak out. My mood certainly wasn't helped by the fact that not one, not two, but THREE stupid patients brought their kids with. The clinic has a no children allowed policy and signs are posted everywhere. Two of them had a spouse with so there was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for their child to be there. Going through IVF for so long has made me very sensitive to that. It's bad enough my local clinic I monitor at dumps all patients together so I'm always surrounded by pregnant bellies there. Finally at 9:30 I was called back and the retrieval took place 10min after my scheduled time. They always take your blood pressure before the procedure and my first one was high enough the nurse made me retake it. Perhaps I wouldn't have been so worked up of they called me back on time and other patients were expected to follow clinic policy. I found out later they were running behind in the morning because several patients hadn't bothered to submit all the required paperwork before hand.

I had two large follicles on my right side and those didn't hurt very much. My left side had one large and four medium ones. My left side had always been painful. I'm sure it's a combination of endo and likely nerve damage from all my surgeries. And I wonder if where they took my left tube is still healing. The first four follicles went well, but the last one, not so much. The Dr. had a difficult time aspirating the follicle. He got about half the liquid and then waited for the embryologist to check the fluid. No egg was found so he went back in and was able to drain more of the fluid. No egg was recovered from the follicle. I almost wonder if it wasn't the cyst that was seen at baseline. Either way, it's drained. It was pretty painful near the end since he stabbed that last follicle so many times.

Ultimately five eggs were retrieved. Three from the largest follicles and two from the medium sized ones. Hopefully we will have at least three or more mature eggs. The clinic doesn't email on Sundays so I will have to wait patiently until Monday for an update.

Laying on the table for retrieval and it was emotional hard thinking that I was last there five months ago for my transfer. I'm not one who really goes looking for signs, but I do take note when things jump out at me. Once they had me in the stirrups I noticed the song Happy playing in the background. The song was pretty popular when I was pregnant so I heard it all the time and it was very fitting up until I lost the baby. When I was back resting after the retrieval the song Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen was playing. I listened to it so many times after my grandma died this winter because it helped comfort me. It brought me peace today as well.

Praying and hoping we end up with some great quality blasts. We decided to go with the two cycle package. I'm getting to the point where I just don't want to keep doing IVF. It's getting really old and I do worry about the wear and tear on my body.

Checking out after my procedure was an ordeal. Our embryo storage fee was due in May and we had sent in the payment by filling out the credit card authorization. We never got another bill so we assumed it was taken care of so I was caught off guard when they said we hadn't paid it yet. After some frantic messaging with my husband we discovered they never did charge our card. All is well now.

I'm looking forward to returning home tomorrow. There's a 30% chance of thunderstorms in Denver tomorrow, but since there's no rush to get home I won't be panicked if there are any delays. Good job making it to the end of my long story. I typed it all on my phone so any errors will have to wait until I'm home before getting fixed.











No comments: