Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Why I LOVE Mini-IVF

Retrieval was this morning. Four eggs were retrieved. It still completely blows my mind how much easier it is to do mini-IVF versus conventional. My one high stim IVF that led to a transfer I only got 3 eggs and one embryo. I stimmed for two weeks, shoving up to three needles a day into my body. Then came retrieval and I got to stick estrace and crinone up my vag. I thought I also remembered an oral med or two in there as well. This cycle I took clomid for 8 days, did ONE shot to trigger and we got FOUR eggs. Hmmm....pretty sure it's not even a contest on which IVF I'd do. I only wish I had found my clinic sooner. And have we discussed cost?!  For what some women spend just for meds on a conventional cycle, I can do two full rounds of mini IVF - including retrievals, transfers, meds, and embryo cryo preservation and storage for a year. Seems like a no brainer to me. Talking with Dr. Y today after retrieval even he shakes his head at why more places aren't doing this. Don't get me wrong, a lot still goes into this type of practice. A huge part of it is having a well qualified doctor and a top notch lab. But still. Even flying halfway across the country is worth it to do the mini-IVF.

I think Dr. Y may have finally convinced me to try a natural IVF round next cycle. I have been hesitant because it is still so hard to trust the process. Depending on what these eggs decide to do, we will either do another mini or try natural with a transfer next cycle. A natural cycle would be even easier. Baseline appt on day 2. Second monitoring on day 10. Trigger. Retrieval. Transfer. Wait for beta. The only drugs would be the trigger shot of Lupron (sub q, no IM needed) and I would need progesterone support due to a luteal phase issue. I think some people don't even need progesterone. How fantastic does that sound?! Cycling here has given me hope that I may actually get pregnant. And I whole heartedly now embrace the less is more philosophy.

Hoping tomorrow brings a good fertilization report. Dr. Y predicts 2 quality blasts. We shall see. I'm still amazed he got four eggs out of me. My follicles on trigger day were 18, 16, 13, and several smaller. He aspirated every follicle he could find. I went in hoping for two and was blessed with double. I still think it's incredible to watch the retrieval and actually see the follicles aspirated and see my little eggs lined up. It's worth the pain of no anesthesia or pain control.






No comments: