Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

IVF #10 Retrieval and Fertilization Report

Retrieval was yesterday. It started out so well...

I was the first retrieval of the day so the clinic wasn't busy at all when I arrived. When I was laying on the table getting prepped I looked over at the computer monitor. They post how many follicles you have on each side. This is also the first time I noticed they list what number retrieval this is for a patient. I was on my sixth retrieval. Somewhat depressing.

My clinic doesn't use any anesthesia for retrievals. I know some ladies cycling there will self medicate prior, but I've never taken anything for it. It hurts, but it's over fairly quickly. The initial poke was probably the easiest one I've had at the clinic. But then the doctor kept pulling the needle all the way out after every couple of follicles. And it became progressively more painful. I ended up getting stabbed in the vagina four times. FOUR. TIMES. (I usually get poked once by each ovary. Then it's just a little poke going into each follicle). The last follicle he went after was pretty small, about 10mm. Follicles that small don't contain mature eggs and if they do get an egg, they usually don't mature in the lab, either. But for whatever reason he decided to go for it and before I could say no he was stabbing the follicle. Only follicles that small are hard to penetrate. The first poke didn't go through. So he pulled back and tried harder, this time stabbing it hard enough the needle blew through the other side of the follicle. But he did get the egg. Oh well. I really expect this to be my last retrieval. I'm thankful I'm done.

When it was all over with I ended up with seven eggs! Today the report from the lab was one egg was degenerated (basically over-cooked) and one egg was immature (hmmm, bet it was that really small follicle...). The other five were all mature and fertilized!

Grow little embies, grow!



No comments: