Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Transfer

3dp3dt

Petri should be hatching today!
I’m still so happy and loving every moment!



My transfer was more stressful to me than the retrieval.

I fretted all weekend about only having one fertilized egg.

I woke up Monday morning at 4am. This was after going to bed at 2am.

I was freaking out that we would get a phone call any minute telling us Petri didn’t make it.

At least, I hoped my clinic would call instead of making us drive all the way over there.

Because that would have been really cruel.

I made my Husband call the clinic an hour before we were to leave to verify my instructions. Because my uterus and cervix like to be difficult it was decided long before our first IVF that I would require anesthesia for retrieval AND transfer. Dr. RE wanted my uterus to be as relaxed as possible. Remembering how painful and horrible my IUI’s were, I eagerly agreed to this plan.

Since the clinic only does this once or twice a year, they don’t have a nice little protocol sheet typed up for patients like me. So I got the basic sheet with the full bladder instructions on it. I didn’t think to ask on Friday if I was supposed to still fill my bladder or not. Logically, I figured no, since I was supposed to be NPO for anesthesia, but wanted to be sure. I also thought it would a perfect excuse to ask if everything was still a go for the transfer.

Husband ended up speaking with the office manager that is a complete IDIOT. She told him that yes; of course I needed to drink water. Ummm….okay. Then when he was asking if our embryo made it through the weekend, he got cut off. He called the clinic back and this time IDIOT office manager said, don’t let her drink water, she’s supposed to be NPO. They’ll fill her bladder during the procedure.

We arrived at the clinic at 11am. The two front office ladies were asking me if I was excited for today. I told them I was worried if our one embryo even made it through the weekend, and one of them said, it must have because they would have for sure called that morning. I felt a little better after that. We were then taken back to a conference room to meet with Dr. RE. Again, I started freaking out thinking something was wrong. But it’s protocol for them to go over your embryo report and have you sign it.

Out of our three eggs, only one made it. One egg was multi-nucleated (spelling?) and the other had many occlusions. I asked if that meant that I produced bad eggs. I was told no. That these types of findings are very normal and usually around a third of eggs retrieved have something wrong with them. The one egg that fertilized was absolutely perfect and produced a perfect embryo with no fragmentation. Dr. RE said they can’t make a better embryo than we produced. He said if my eggs were bad, there is no way we could end up with a perfect embryo. <huge sigh of relief>

For once in all of this, we finally got some really good news!

I was taken back to get ready for the OR and Hubby was sent back to the waiting room. Because of them doing anesthesia again, Hubby was not allowed in the surgical suite so neither of us was able to see the actual transfer take place.

They had the picture of Petri and took it out to Hubby in the waiting room while I was back there, so he got to see it before I did. He thought that was pretty cool to get the picture while he was waiting.

Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery in excruciating pain. I had tears pouring down my cheeks and was squirming all over the place. I think what likely happened is they filled my bladder very full (I normally don’t let it get very full because of my endo) and that stretched out and really irritated my endo. And they gave me two liters of fluid during the procedure, so my bladder was filling up again while sitting in recovery, adding to my pain. I don’t remember a whole lot else, but I do remember seeing Dr. RE come back into the recovery room. He probably couldn’t believe how much pain I was in. He gave Hubby a script for some valium which I thankfully took as soon as I got home and had a six hour nap.

I tried to listen to my circle and bloom for transfer day several times, but with the valium on board, I kept falling asleep five minutes into it. The goal was to relax the uterus and I guess if I was completely passed out, then it was doing its job!

Three days later and I’m still sore, but feeling much better.








5 comments:

Bridget said...

That sounds horrible, I'm so sorry you had so much pain! Rest up!!

Anonymous said...

They put you to sleep for the transfer? hmmm I'd like that! I am sorry it was so painful, but just think, when you see those two lines it will be worth it!!

Marianne said...

SORRY the transfer was rough..but how exciting that the embryo should be hatching today!

One perfect emby said...

Thats all they need is one good egg but sorry about the pain..I hope my transfer is never painful as it hurts when I go for my internal Ultra sounds..
Dont wory about falling asleep to meditation I do that half the time as well..you must have been really relaxed and needed...

Joey said...

So good to hear things are progressing well for you. I'm set for a 3dt on Sunday, so please keep me posted what I'm in for! Love & prayers to you!

Joey
http://thechildlessmom.blogspot.com